Status of Task
The setup and expected results of Task 6 in the overall context of the NIPS Project
- The Water Sector requires the largest amount of public investment within EU Chapter 27, the largest chapter of aquis, of EU law.
- Hence, meeting the standards set out in Albanian and EU strategic objectives will require a large increase in the capacity (the quantity of projects) and capability (the range of different technical skills) of the Albanian administrative institutions.
- The DW and the UWWT DSIPs (Task2) as well as the National Sludge Management Strategy (NSMS) (Task 3) and the resulting Investment Programme (Task 4) have clearly defined the number and range of measures (‘hard’ infrastructure and ‘soft’ reforms) that are required – in full alignment with the National Strategy of the Water Supply and Sewerage Sector 2023-2030.
- Based on and aligned with the findings of the aforementioned Tasks 2, 3 and 4 the Training Needs Assessment (TNA – Task 6.1) was drafted. The TNA identifies and defines in detail the capacity and capability requirements of the project’s institutional partners, on national as well as on regional level.
- Subsequently the Capacity Development Plan (CDP – Task 6.3) was developed. The CDP is focused entirely on AKUM in order to achieve a deep and complete analysis of AKUM’s needs of capacity building (not only related to the specific aim of the two DSIPs and for the Sludge Management Strategy), and henceforth a specific Capacity Building Program to support AKUM’s role as pivotal institution in the ongoing institutional reform in the water service, and for the success of the investment programs
Implementation of Task 6
The identification of gaps and institutional needs, developed as part of the DSIPs- Result 2, and of NSMS- Result 3 until spring 2023 were the analytical basis for the development of the
- Training Needs Assessment (Task 6.1), developed along the months of February and March 2023 and the
- Capacity Development Plan (Task 6.3), developed along the months of April, May, June and July 2023.